Monday, 6 July 2015
Thursday, 2 July 2015
Tuesday, 29 April 2014
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground
beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat
until well browned. Stir in crushed
tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce,
and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel
seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt,
pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours,
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to
a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling
water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles,
and rinse with cold water. In a mixing
bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg,
remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190
4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat
sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking
dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over
meat sauce. Spread with one half of the
ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of
mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2
cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and
sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Repeat layers, and top with remaining
mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover
with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray
foil with cooking spray, or make sure the
foil does not touch the cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Remove foil, and bake an additional 25
minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before
- Rice: 1 ½ cups
- Onion, diced: ½ cup
- Garlic, chopped: 1 tbsp.
- Tomato puree: 1 ½ cups
- Parsley, chopped: 1 tbsp.
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced: 1 cup
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp.
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp.
- Dried red chilies: 3 nos.
- Oil: 3 tbsps.
- Salt: To taste
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan and sauté rice over medium heat until opaque
- yellow and keep stirring to prevent burning.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until transparent.
- Add two cups of water, then stir in tomato puree, parsley, sliced fresh
- mushrooms, salt, cumin and coriander.
- Reduce heat to simmering, cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until all
- water is absorbed.
- Roughly chop dried chilies and stir them in.
- Serve hot.
Sunday, 27 April 2014
- Onion, chopped finely: 1 no.
- Garlic, chopped finely: 1clove.
- Coriander seeds: 1 tbsp.
- Red wine: 300 ml.
- Tomato puree: 1 tbsp.
- Button mushrooms: 450 gms.
- Tomatoes, seeded & chopped: 550 gms.
- Pepper, ground: As required
- Parsley: As required
- Olive oil: 2 tbsps.
- Salt: As required
- 1.Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the chopped onions, garlic and sauté till they change colour.
- 2.Next add the coriander seeds, wine, tomato puree and stir well.
- 3.Add the button mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper for taste.
- 4.Let the mixture boil and remove once the mushrooms become soft.
- 5.Remove from heat, cool and chill for several hours before serving.